Jump to content
Artboard 1Artboard fwCheckmarkclose-chubbyCombined ShapeexpandExternal-LinkUntitled-3gridlkab-breadcrumb-startinfoUntitled-1listplay-linkplay-sololkab-printikon-sök-lkabTwitterYouTube

LKAB in Malmberget increase safety measures due to COVID-19

LKAB has noticed an increase in the spread of COVID-19 in the municipality, which also affects our own employees.
"We have taken measures to reduce the spread of infection in our operations," says Monika Sammelin, interim area manager in Malmberget.

Around 60 people in total are currently at home with cold symptoms of various degrees, approximately half of them have been confirmed to carry COVID-19.

On Tuesday afternoon, June 16, the decision to temporarily close MK3, one of the processing plants, was made.
"The assessment is that there are not enough regular employees present to ensure safe operation. Our estimation is that the plant will be able to open again at the end of the week when some personnel previously absent are expected to return," David Alldén, interim processing manager in Malmberget, says.

LKAB has a contingency plan based on risk assessments where the risks of the spread of COVID-19 have been especially taken into account.
"We are taking this situation very seriously and keeps a continuous review of the need for measures in the operations of both the mine and the processing plants," says Monika Sammelin.

1100 people in total works in LKAB’s operations in Malmberget. The goal is to continue the operations as well as following the recommendations and guidelines issued by the authorities.

On Wednesday, June 17 Gällivare municipality resumed the local crisis management team collaboration meetings regarding COVID-19. LKAB is represented at these meetings.