Through the LKAB Academy Foundation we support development projects in mathematics, technology and science, from pre-school to upper secondary school, as well as supporting upper secondary school development projects in other educational areas.
For example, the LKAB Academy is funding an interdisciplinary project in which researchers at Luleå University of Technology are trying to develop a model with the aim of inspiring more young people in the region to apply for further education.
Within the framework of the LKAB Academy, the potential exists for schools in Malmfälten to apply for funding for educational development projects and activities. These projects should be aimed primarily at skills development or educational development for teachers and/or students, and the activity should also contribute to the overall development of the schools in Malmfälten.
Sponsorship for associations and companies is not covered by the LKAB Academy.
Applying for funding
For pre-schools and compulsory schools, the applications should be aimed at strengthening interest in technology, mathematics and science among children and young people. All pre-schools and schools can apply from grants from the LKAB Academy. The Child and Education Authorities can also apply for grants for overall projects and initiatives. Students, educational staff and school leaders can all submit applications. It is important for the applications to come from the operations and to be well established.
The applications should not relate to regular ongoing operations, but can involve developing or expanding operations and elements within operations that already exist. In all the applications regarding various activities, students should as far as possible have been involved in the concept to which the application relates. How this has been implemented must be set out in the application.
Approve application internally before sending it to LKAB
Before being submitted to LKAB, all applications must have been approved internally within the school/pre-school by the applicant's immediate superior. Student initiatives must be approved by a teacher, teacher initiatives by the headteacher, management initiatives by the school leader. This is done most easily by sending the application by e-mail to the person who has to approve it, who then forwards the application to LKAB.
As LKAB is one of the sponsors of the Young Enterprise activities in Norrbotten, individual Young Enterprise companies cannot obtain sponsorship from the LKAB Academy. LKAB is a member of the jury that assesses the Young Enterprise companies and can therefore not support individual companies as this would constitute a conflict of interests.
The support that LKAB gives to the Young Enterprise activities is instead provided at an overall level.
The following must be included in an application to the LKAB Academy
1. Activity description – What is going to be done? Clear, measurable activities.
2. Purpose – Why this activity?
3. Goal – What is to be achieved?
4. Participating target group – Number of children/students, number of teachers/educational staff, number of others.
5. Costs – Clear indication of what the funds being applied for are going to be used for – specified.
6. Start/stop – Timeframes
7. Feedback – How can more people share in this activity? How can participants share their experience with others?
8. Student participation – How have the students participated in developing the proposal?
9. Alternative solutions – What can be done differently to achieve the same goals?
10. Responsible – Who is responsible for implementation and following-up/continuation?
11. Project name – The application must include a brief product name that will follow the application at every stage.